Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakedallasmary

what does all this rain do to soil life?

lakedallasmary
16 years ago

We have been getting so much rain in north Texas the backyard is mud. I can't plant my cowpeas, limas or peanuts. I know the soil will heal itself. It is hard to believe when you look at it now that this mud will again look like humus.

I use non till gardening methods. I only dig if I have to. I dig to install a pole trellis or plant a tomato plant. That is about it. When I remove dead plants, I tend to cut them, verses yanking them up. I feel the roots are good for the soil. I left much of last year's crops all winter, for the beneficials to live in.

Should I just let the soil take care of itself, or add something to help it out? I keep wanting to add mulch. The mulch layer is pretty thin now. The soil was pretty muddy this spring too, (around pea planting time, feb-march) so I took out most of the leaves to let the soil warm up and dry. I also gave the grass that grew over winter (inside the beds) a hair cut.

I would think if I added grass clippings which are wet and never seem to dry even after they have been cut, (since rain keeps a fallin) that soil would stay wet longer. I want to be sure to feed the worms and various other soil life.

I was also thinking alfalfa meal or leaves or something. Leaves tend to mat and be rather soggy in wet weather.

Is all this rain we are getting now, enough to overly saturate the soil a good thing?

Comments (3)

• lakedallasmary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sorry but, there was one more thing I was thinking that I forgot to add.

I was thinking seaweed or diluted tea would help with any fungus problems that might come up because of this wet, wet, wet soil. course when and if Texas sized heat sets in, it might take care of that problem.

I don't have much in the ground now, due to this bizarre weather. I was thinking about my tomatoes and wax beans though, fungus-wise. The peas are just about done. A few more pods to pick and that is it. No more blooms are arriving. Most of my beds sit there empty, all except the mud, with a little mulch on top.

• pablo_nh
    16 years ago

Raised beds are a great option anywhere that you worry about drainage. Mulch is a good idea to prevent erosion.

Don't walk on any soil that you can avoid walking on when it's wet! That compacts it. Standing water may change soil structure, but walking on it seriously adds insult to injury.

As long as there's some drainage and it's still raining- I'd guess that your soil is getting some oxygen (raindrops are well oxygenated). You might have a dip in worm population, and certain nutrients may leach away. A good humus content helps prevent nutrient loss in these cases.

Compost, used coffee grounds, shredded leaf mulch, and alfalfa meal will stimulate worms when the soil dries. They'll fix it all up for you.

Sorry for your troubles- we've had not enough rain very recently. I'd take 1/2 from you if I could :)

• lakedallasmary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You are not the first person that wants some of my excess rain. I would ship it if I could.

I will try alfalfa meal. How thick should I lay it on? What is the best source of this, to avoid any chemicals?

Actually, there seems to be a lot of earthworms. But I just may be noticing it since earthworms come to the surface to mate when it rains. This is so they will not dry out. I have seen lots of baby earthworms, which is why I wanted to feed them. I spread grass clippings on my beds. I am not walking on them. The cows are flocking to my garden eating worms. I saw them eating the huge ones, which I think are larva to underground beetles.

Wood mulch that I just laid down in this poor drainage area, certainly soaked up the excess rain. I will plant rain garden plants there to help drink extra moisture.

I guess nature will take care of this mess. I just need to avoid disturbing it, when it is wet. The tomatoes and green beans did better after I added to the mulch that was there. It seemed to soak up some of the extra moisture.

It seems we are in for at least 1 more week of rain. I surely hope we don't get water into the house. So far, so good.

Mary

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!