Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drummer_dan

Garden placement problem

drummer_dan
15 years ago

Hello,I am looking for suggestions for a problem that just arose with my home garden. I am interested in Permaculture, but don't know enough to know what to do and was hoping someone more knowledgeable could help me out.

The only sunny spot in my yard for a veggie garden is on the side of the house and the garden borders the neighbors driveway. The garden patch starts near my house and goes to about 2-3 feet from the property line. Currently, the neighbor's driveway only goes to the front of their house and stops short of my garden patch. A new family just moved in next door and they indicated they want to extend the drive way back this year and possible put in a garage in the back yard next year. The drive way would then extend the entire length of my garden patch and would be precariously close to the garden.

I am afraid of contaminants like ice melting salt or motor oil, etc. that could get into my garden soil from their driveway from rain runoff or from snow blowing during winter. The yard slopes downward from the propertly line to my garden. I also worry part of my garden getting packed down.

Does anyone have any suggestions for mitigating this? I intend on going ahead with the garden as planned this year, just bringing it in a few more feet from their driveway. I'm more concerned about next year, especially if they don't put in a garage and park next to garden all year round. I really don't want to go to a container garden if at all possible and am considering putting in raised beds or a small greenhouse or placing fruit trees there.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH