Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beki_gw

Earth Activist Penetrates Garden Club!

beki
17 years ago

Well, I'm new to the little town, planting a food forest in my little Z7 back yard, and I thought, in order to network and get to know my outer zones, so to speak, I'd join the ladies of the local Garden Club.

Well, they are hard-working, mianstream, civic-minded, unfussy, sweet, uninformed, and interested, even hungry for information.

So now I'm committed to teaching, with the greater goal of Permaculturing my town! And I've not taken the certification course yet, just studied on my own, so I need to keep that balance, too.

I'm scheduled to give a talk on P-Culture in September, in which I thought I'd intro the topic, and then see who might want to form a separate study group, to read Gaia's Garden together: I think it's the most accessible book for newbies, don't you think?

What else would you recommend, for basic curriculuum for such a group?

Comments (3)

• gardenlen
    17 years ago

g'day beki,

don't see that you need to do a course to be able to teach people permie principals, there is a big misconception that design (man made) aspect of this process is all perma-c is all about that is very wrong. get hold of mollesons introduction to permaculture that will be a great starting point on the simplicity of permaculture.

and gaia is just another gardening idea that has probably been extended by permaculture.

don't know you may even get some ideas out my essay?????

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

• maureensnc
    17 years ago

I'm in sort of the same boat with you, Beki. A friend gave me copy of Gaia's Garden last June, and I've been a raving residential Pc-ist ever since. But it feels as if I'm the only one in the county, so I need a way to branch out more widely than with just friends. The only instruction I've had other than reading and experimenting in the yard has been with Charlie Headington, Pc prof at U. North Carolina-Greensboro. Charlie does hands-on Pc workshops in his small, urban yard, which is where I got the idea to do a carpet pond.
    When I mention composting, sheet-mulching, carpet pond, rainwater-saving, most people around here look fairly clueless and/or amused yet interested. I took a landscaping class at the community college in February, but it was mostly about lawns and fertilizers.
    Much to learn, much to teach, and not much time in which to do both!!

• beki
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maureen, I so sympathize!
    The president of the local garden club was interested enough in the concept to ask if I would give a talk at the September meeting, and then if enough are interested, we could start a GG study group, and go through it, a couple of chapters a month. It has crossed my mind, when it comes to that, to put up a flyer in the local nurseries and/or health-food store, to invite non-club members in.

A couple of years ago, Toby emailed me permission to copy & distribute his instructions for "The Ultimate Bomb-Proof Sheet Mulch" p. 72, at a gardening group I was in. It makes a great handout!

It's so alarming to hear the global warming stats coming in, that I really need to do SOMETHING. If I can sell a few people on the PC concepts, and at least get them growing some edibles in their yards, too, I think I will feel a little better.

And I'll keep working on my own little space, getting my rain barrels in under the downspouts, experimenting with guilds, learning what works in each corner.

Vaya con Gaia!

Sponsored