Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bean, corn, sunflower, and peanut production

Posted by mhagood 8a Virginia (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 05 at 17:19

I'm thinking of renting some land so that I can grow several kinds of beans for drying, corn for grinding into meal, sunflowers and peanuts for storing. But I have absolutely no clue how much space it takes, for instance, to grow 20 pounds of shelled, dry beans. Also not sure which corn varieties would produce what I'm looking for. Can anyone suggest a good source online?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bean, corn, sunflower, and peanut production

Hello,

First off:
How big is the space?
What is your seasonal weather like?
What kind of soil do you have?

As for the corn, you will want some kind of Dent Corn or an ornimental corn. The sweet stuff doesn't do as well for storing.

Have a good day,
Ken

o

I'm near the coast of Virginia, with 200 plus frost-free days. So far, all the soil I've gotten closely acquainted with here has been on the sandy side.

I haven't found the land yet --- I'm still working on the concept. Wanted to have some idea of how to set it up --- polyculturally speaking. Wasn't sure what other plants might be desirable/necessary in the mix.

This would be an away from home garden plot. I grow pretty much all of my fresh vegetables at the house, but really want to get "off the grid" in terms of food and so need to find some more land to use. Soybeans and peanuts are grown around here commercially, sunflowers grew well in my former community garden, and beans are supposed to be good companions to the corn, of course. I could easily throw in some butternut squash, which does very, very well here, and have that whole guild. It's definitely a "for seed and storage" garden, or I hope it will be. Next year if I can get it going in time.

o

You might try calling your local Cooperative Extension Service. Your questions sound like something they would know.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here