Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fireraven9

Zone 2

Fireraven9
21 years ago

So what do we have for Zone 2? I have the orchard (about 1/3 acre in size) in that zone and little else. What do you all have in this zone?

Fireraven9

"The field's set. Let's croq." Alas 4/28/01

Comments (12)

• Fireraven9
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Just to make it easy to compare ... below is a link to a good summary of Zones and Sectors ... just look at item 16 from the menu on the left of the page.

Fireraven9

Here is a link that might be useful: Permaculture- A Beginner's Guide

• garden_gal_fl (z10)
    21 years ago

Thanks! I just went and looked thru the site. The zones talked about in another thread make much more sense to me now. I also have a more general idea of this "new to me word" ... permaculture ... but look forward to learning even more. I am pleased to find that some of the ideas mentioned both here and at the site have been a part of my lifestyle already ... even if I didn't have a name for it. *g*

GG

• jessiecarole
    21 years ago

thank you for the great link!

I think my zone 2 is my brushpile which I will move next year and use the space for sunflowers for beauty and to harvest for the birds (they give me migraines)

gourds which I do not tend to at all (for gifts and fun)

things planted to hold back or direct water that drains off the field behind me

• haller
    21 years ago

I can't follow the zones like they are supposed to be laid out. After all, it is based on one formula only... a house plopped in a clearing with forest in the perimeters. I don't have that scenario at all on my acre lot. I am working with mature trees so have to bend the rules a bit :-)

But what I DO have makes a lot of sense, I think, from a permaculture standpoint. Even if it doesn't follow the "rules". My shaded, forested area is in my zone 2 and 3. Then my sunny areas are beyond, in zones 4 and 5. Yes, it means that I have to haul out to the back of the acre for my garden crops, berries and orchard, because that's where the sun is. But, because all of it is out there, along with a water source (thank goodness), it is not inconvenient.

I do have a patch of sun near the house that I have filled with herbs mixed with a cutting garden.

Also in zone 2... my septic/leach field. What to do with that? Sunny probably 60% of the day. I know I can plant in the top 24" of soil but that's all...

• Fireraven9
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Our house is not in a clearing with forest all around ... it is on the east end of the property in a meadow (which is a good fire break and needed here in New Mexico) and there are woods to the west. The drawings are just one example of how it might be done, but If I tried to follow that example and cleared an opening in the woods so I could have woods all around as the site shows ... I would have trouble growing things. The good soil is in the east meadow so I have Zones 0, 1, 2, and 3 there. The main vegetable and food growing things must be Zone 1 for me (rather than Zone 3) because my arthritis cuts how much walking I can do in a day. It needs to be close for me to tend it.

The Permaculture text (Mollison's big book) gives the tools (ideas) to allow you to observe your site and design for that location. The illustrations just give some ideas.

Fireraven9

• Fireraven9
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I have heard of planting fruit trees in a leach field. I do not have the references for that handy. Does anyone else have info on that? If you are not comfortable doing that, it would be a great place for a cutting garden! Edible flowers would be best grown elsewhere though.

Fireraven9

• haller
    21 years ago

I know that you can be creative with the zones, (doesn't have to be a perfect circle like in the picture) but my particular property is unusual in that all the tree height is near the center of the lot, around the house. Almost a dead opposite :-)

Question... why would it be ok to plant fruit trees in a leach field but not edible flowers? Of interest: The last folks to live here had their veggie garden on top of the leach field. Kindof crazy because it is not the sunniest part of the lot. But I have heard conflicting views about edible crops being grown on a leach field...

• Fireraven9
    Original Author
    21 years ago

The fruit trees would bear the fruit up in the air, well away from any possible leach field overflow. The flowers are often lower and risk contamination with an overflow, especially if there is a hard rain that causes splashing. Flowers like roses would be OK though as the taller types bear the roses and hips away from the ground.

Fireraven9

• garden_gal_fl (z10)
    21 years ago

I think I would avoid planting trees of any kind over your field lines. They could grow into and damage them. It's been a fairly common practise in the past to plants veggie gardens over them however. You would need an inspection to see how deep the lines are and if they have the proper drainage material below them. Also you really should get a perk test first. Short of that I would simply plant wildflowers.

GG

• Fireraven9
    Original Author
    21 years ago

There is info on trees and planting on a septic below.

Fireraven9

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting on Your Septic Drain Field

• haller
    21 years ago

Thanks for all the good info, and that link is a great resource! But after reading it, I don't think I will risk planting any food crops over the leach field. Definitely no trees. The system was put in fairly recently (just over a year ago) and knowing that it cost $5700 I have no desire to ruin it! I do know that the pipes are 24" down. I have so many other places to plant, it really is not necessary to use this area, although it is a lovely, open and mostly sunny. I can visualize perennial gardens in that area, and then there will be no worries about my plantings causing trouble.

Therefore, no food crops in my zone 2, I will have to continue to be creative in my layout!

• caitzs
    21 years ago

It would include the fruit trees and berry bushes further down the driveway, plus the little lawn in the backyard which harbors the compost piles.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA