Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant....

Posted by dannic_az z7AZ (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 3, 06 at 18:25

I have a small bed between the walk up to the front door and the house. It is exposed to HOT (it's 104 right now, with more to come) fullsun Southwestern Exp. I have tried to plant different flowers, ect there only to watch them shrivel and die. I am looking to some heat/sun loving (not just tolerant) perennials (flowering or non) to put there that stand a good chance of thriving there. Any ideas of ground covers to grow underneath would be appreciated as well.
The bed is long and narrow, so bushy things would restrict the walkway. Thanx for your help. Dannic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant....

Look at the xeriscaping forum for a ton of good ideas. Aside from that- I could only suggest cacti.

But hey- whadda I know- I live in Cow Hampshire

o
A link

Here's a link to the forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: xeriscaping

o
RE: What to plant....

Here is a short list of heat lovers:

Portulaca - very colorful
Lantana - very colorful
Sedum
Rosemary

These are all plants that thrive in the hot blazing sun and don't like too much tender loving care.

I live in a very humid area but I have spent a little time in your part of the world. While I totally igore these plants you may want to provide a VERY slow drip soaker hose. Don't give them too much rich soil or fertilizer though - they don't like it.

o
RE: What to plant....again

BTW, any of those plants can simply be snipped back if they get too bushy. When I trim back my rosemary I throw a couple of sprigs into simmering water to make the house smell wonderful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here