Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vertical garden picture

Posted by missinformation 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 07 at 11:32

We're going to start a rain collection system this year, too, even though we're currently drowning here in north Texas. I haven't capped the vertical supports, so they used to fill with quite a bit of rain water. I drilled little holes so that they drain onto the garden, and I may rig something up so I can plug the holes and only release water as I need it.

Anyway, here it is:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vertical garden picture

That's an interesting idea, and the uprights blend in well with the brick of your house too. I wonder if a shallow funnel shape at the top of each pipe would be decorative? It would increase the amount of water captured.

o

I'm probably going to eventually just cap the tops with a coex end cap. If I put a line of gutter just along that one side to catch the water from that part of the roof and feed it into a barrel, it'll be enough to take care of all the gardens between rains. We have a big problem with mosquitos here, and I don't want to spend money on dunks. If it's all in a few barrels, I can just throw in some goldfish, put a screen over the top and call it done.

The gourds got too thick, so I pulled them off the vine to begin drying, and slipped the vine off by pulling the horizontal supports back through the vertical supports. 5-minute job! It's about a week from being covered with squash and cucumbers, and it already has Chinese red noodle beans hanging down all over it.

o

You probably only need to put a screen over the top to keep mosquitoes from laying the eggs in it. Putting fish in and screening it off will probably just cause you dead fish and some nasty water to deal with in the future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here