Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webegardnr

where to find cisterns

webegardnr
21 years ago

Where do you find cisterns? We recently bought a house, and with the drought here we really want to put in a cistern. (The rain barrels are just not large enough)

TIA,

webe

Comments (8)

• Belgianpup
    21 years ago

Check out a small book titled Ferrocement Water Tanks & Their Construction by S. B. Watt. These are for do-it-yourself tanks, & look very do-able for Mr. or Ms. Joe Average, at a very reasonable cost, compared to buying one that is ready-made.

Sue

• smittyct6
    21 years ago

where would someone buy this book?

• Belgianpup
    21 years ago

$19 at Amazon.com
    $19 at Barnes & Noble (bn.com)
    $17.50 at half.com
    Not available at Bargain Books (hamiltonbook.com), darn it!

Also available through many library systems. The content is all meat, no frills.

Sue

• webegardnr
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Belgianpup,
    Thanks for the information. I'll have to check this out. I'm definately for saving $.
    webe

• Cyniska
    21 years ago

If you have a basement corner you're not using you could build a cistern with concrete blocks and use pond liner to hold the water rather than worrying about making a waterproof wall. It's best to stop the walls about two feet short of the ceiling and to have some cross-ventilation so you don't rot the floor joists above the cistern. I have a cistern in my cellar and run the hot water system off it; the soft water seems to be much kinder to the water heater. I've finally had to replace the 50 year old heater because the tank sprang a leak, whereas my neighbours seem to go through heaters at the rate of one every five years. I know some houses used to have cisterns in the attic to gravity feed the plumbing below, but I find the thought of a couple of tons of water overhead a bit alarming.

• Mayapple
    21 years ago

The same folks who make septic tanks also make cisterns around here. A call to a plumbing contractor might get you some answers also, unless you're in an area that is largely served by public water.

• ferrycreek
    21 years ago

We just put one in last week by our creek using 3' wide plastic culvert. We drilled 3/4" holes in the are we wanted to fill with water.

Mindy

• Fireraven9
    21 years ago

We built ours. A friend with a backhoe dug a large hole (10' x 8' x 8' deep) and we lined it with chicken wire and plastered with concrete and then lined with a plastic liner. There is a "house" that sits on top of it that is about 4' high at the peak of the roof and inside this roofed structure there is a platform for the cistern pump. We water all the orchard trees and garden plants from that.

Fireraven9
    The morns are meeker than they were,
    The nuts are getting brown;
    The berry's cheek is plumper,
    The rose is out of town. - Emily Dickinson

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor