Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kineala

Permaculture newbie...

kineala
11 years ago

Hello all,

I'm a bit of a permaculture newbie. I started "sheet mulching" a few years ago without realizing it was an acknowledged way to start a garden bed. & Once I figured out that my garden bumbling about was actually working rather well, I've read-up and learned a lot more about permaculture methodologies. I plan to start a hugelkultur bed this Fall. :-)

I have a question, though... I want to convert a decent sized area of the back of my lawn from all grass to more useful greenery (that hopefully doesn't need mowed). My hope is for this outer area to keep the rabbits busy and well fed so they won't continue to eat through the fence in my main garden. The area is probably a bit more than 1/9 of an acre, so it's really big to dig out the grass or sheet mulch (without throwing out my back hauling mulch). & I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on this??

I had an idea about slowly converting the grass over to more wild/useful greens... overplanting clover, alfalfa, and maybe some other scattered veggie seeds this Fall and next Spring and letting the region go wild next year. & Slowly doing the same next year, etc... until the grass is out-competed. But, I'm not sure if this will work well & I'm curious if anyone else has any thoughts??

THANKS a lot in advance,

tracy

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms