Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Permaculture newbie...

Posted by Kineala zone 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 19:32

Hello all,

I'm a bit of a permaculture newbie. I started "sheet mulching" a few years ago without realizing it was an acknowledged way to start a garden bed. & Once I figured out that my garden bumbling about was actually working rather well, I've read-up and learned a lot more about permaculture methodologies. I plan to start a hugelkultur bed this Fall. :-)

I have a question, though... I want to convert a decent sized area of the back of my lawn from all grass to more useful greenery (that hopefully doesn't need mowed). My hope is for this outer area to keep the rabbits busy and well fed so they won't continue to eat through the fence in my main garden. The area is probably a bit more than 1/9 of an acre, so it's really big to dig out the grass or sheet mulch (without throwing out my back hauling mulch). & I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on this??

I had an idea about slowly converting the grass over to more wild/useful greens... overplanting clover, alfalfa, and maybe some other scattered veggie seeds this Fall and next Spring and letting the region go wild next year. & Slowly doing the same next year, etc... until the grass is out-competed. But, I'm not sure if this will work well & I'm curious if anyone else has any thoughts??

THANKS a lot in advance,
tracy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Permaculture newbie...

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 13:29

Tracy,
The rabbits do have preferences, but you can't guarantee that they'll eat what you plant for them & avoid the other plants. They will continue to get to the main garden unless fenced out. Try a wire fence if they're chewing through your existing fence.

Slowly converting grass to garden works, but not sure what you mean by letting it go wild. You'll need to smother the grass not overplant seeds within the grass. Grass is tougher & faster growing! You mentioned cover crop or vegetable seeds. Some will reseed and could replant themselves, but likely not in the density desired unless managed. Depends on your purpose for this space. If you want to grow harvestable vegetables it is possible if grass is eradicated by either digging or smother/mulch method.

Best wishes,
Corrine

o

Thanks very much for the comments, Corrine.

Very good points. Grass *is* tougher and faster growing....! I guess the best way to phase out this area of grass over the next several years is probably to sheet mulch and plant sections of it at a time. Ultimately my hope is for this outer portion of the yard is to be a semi-wild rabbit food garden... consisting of cover crops & some veggies and flowers.

My two main gardens have 7ft fences with anchored metal wire all around the bottom. The rabbits (& squirrels, & groundhogs) just seem to dig under... (sigh). I'm guessing any outer "rabbit food garden" won't sustain the local population for long. But, hopefully easily available food might distract them some from my main gardens.

THANKS!!!

tracy

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 13:03

Persistent rodents can be thwarted with buried wire at edges. I've read suggestions for dealing with them on the vegetable gardening forum.

Hope that helps~Corrine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here