Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

Utilizing green house

garyfla_gw
17 years ago

Hello

Don't know if this is the proper forum for this but it's an attempt to utilize my shadehouse to max while still being a nice place to visit. lol

I'm attempting to combine the aviary with a shadehouse

and since it will have temp and irrigation I guess it should be called a greenhouse . I live in zone 10 Florida

so heat is much more of a problem. I grow mostly orchids

and tropicals. Since retiring and the damage from Wilma I've decided to expand to 25x25 with 10 foot ceiling and expand the tropicals to much rarer more valuable types ,maybe to help pay for the money pit lol.

Many types of birds can't be kept with plants for many reasons but since I'll have a rainforest i was thinking along the lines of tropical cage birds or maybe some of the

reptiles or amphibians.

I have a pair of red-legged honeycreepers which I might be able to breed in all this room . just a couple of broods would pay for the whole structure lol I kept them there before aand they were almost ideal,had to remove because of the damage and maintain in the aviary along with the other birds. Thinking of getting rid of all the seedeaters and concentrate on the nectavores which fit right in with the plants,add the aviary into the greenhouse as well as the lily pool. Do away with the yard plants and concentrate on the more valuable plants.Hopefully for a profit.

Anyone ever try something like this?? I'm thinking softbills would be the best choice but was hoping for some suggestios??

Obviously not parrots of course lol

Thanks gary

Comments (3)

Sponsored