Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no dig/sheet mulching

Posted by adidas 6/7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 7:42

Hello. I have a couple of questions about no dig gardening....

1)Suppose I've covered my patch w/cardboard, mulch (wood chips), grass clippings and veggie peels/coffee grounds etc. this fall. Could I then sprinkle something like Ascelepias sp. on top of the mulch mix immediately w/out waiting for any decomposition, leave it over the winter and have successful germination OR would it be premature? I thought it might work because at the very least I am slowing down grass and weeds in spring and giving my Asclepias seedlings an edge :?

2) Would burlap sheets be as effective as cardboard as a cover that you then cover w/mulch?

Thank-you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no dig/sheet mulching

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 13:01

1) Wait until spring to plant seeds. Many people winter sow the milkweed & transplant out. The winter sow forum has more details about how to do it.

2) Yes, burlap should work as well as cardboard if you have at least 2 layers. Be sure to overlap & wet down well. Then wet each layer again unless you live in a rainy climate at present when building the bed. When I make these beds as I gather materials in the fall through spring I rarely water them because we have a lot of rain.

Persistent perennial weeds may still need removal, but will be easier in spring to do so in the loose soil. We have dandelion, creeping buttercup, and plantain that come out with a bit of determination after making a lasagna garden. If the soil is dry they just break up & you can't get the root out all the way, so they grow back.

Then... after the bed is made & you planted your seeds or transplants ... to prevent the weeds from returning you need to mulch and maintain it. Removal of weedy areas or at least the weed seed heads around the garden bed helps, too.

o

g'day adidas,

we invite you to read our presentation:

we never weed and we never dig.

Here is a link that might be useful: lens straw bale garden

o

:)

"we never weed and we never dig"

me too, len. I just finished burying a pan full of vegetable peelings in a bed I am starting for next season. We have had a wet fall which means grass clippings and fall leaves mowed together. woohoo! I should have a good heap of greens and browns before Christmas.

Its good to see you. I hope you are well.

jc

o

Similar discussion happening on the soil forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here