Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I get red clay?

Posted by villaus (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 11:53

OK, silly question. I need some red clay to make seed balls. Anyone know a garden supply place to get some? Or any other place?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I get red clay?

• Posted by terran zone10/Sunset20 CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 31, 08 at 16:32

The search for red clay has come up before. I did a site search for 'red clay seed balls' and came up with these URLs.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cottage/msg0120442131046.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/permacult/msg081038047874.html

Terran

Here is a link that might be useful: Can seed balls be made from pottery grey clay?

o

Red clay is basically just terra cotta clay. Any local potter's supply (ceramics) should carry it. Twenty-five pound bags usually costs about $10. Try to buy it dry, rather than already having water added.

If you have a compost pile or sandy raised beds, adding some dry clay will improve the nutrient-holding capacity.

Sue

o

This may not be too helpful, but many areas of the country abound in red clay - in fact, I will give you all you can haul off!
:-)
Nik

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here