Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kineala

Fruit tree guild invasion...

kineala
10 years ago

Hi permaculture enthusiasts...

I have a question for you all. This past spring, I planted several fruit tree guilds - two apple and one apricot. They are doing well, over all. But I can see a problem coming... Last year, I had some funky grass stuff growing around my dogwood tree, about 15 feet from one of the new apple guilds. I yanked it all out and (tried to) seed the area with clover. This year, unfortunately, this funky grass has completely taken over... & it is encroaching on the edges of all of my fruit tree guilds! (newly planted, as well as two established and happy peach tree guilds).

I've just identified this funky grass as Japanese stilt grass. Yikes... it sounds like a very formidable enemy! Everything I've seen has said chemical treatment in the spring with pre-emergent weed killer is a necessity for controlling it. Darn... I'm really trying to follow permaculture practices as much as possible & I haven't put any icky chemicals down in my gardens for 2 and a half years. I don't like herbicides. & I don't really want to use them. Especially not in and around my fruit tree guilds. :-(

Does anyone know - is there any hope in dealing with this beastie? Does anyone have any suggestions? Last year I had a small patch of the stilt grass that I yanked. This year it's all over my yard.

THANKS in advance for any pearls of wisdom you may have... :-)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES