Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil preparation for raspberries' and blueberries' plant.

Posted by SunBerries none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 6:39

Hello. I need some help with how I can prepare soil and plant Ruspberry and Blueberry plants. My soil pH at one place is 5.65 and at another place 6.10 Do I need to acidify soil? And any tips with how properly plant them would be greatly appreciated.
Is it good time the end of September for planting them and will they need to be covered as new plants in winter?.
I choose sunny place to plant them.Its my first attempt with berries.I want to breed them and after transplant to another big area.

Thanks for any suggestion.
Sofi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil preparation for raspberries' and blueberries' plant.

pH can very depending on the variety that you end up planting. Typically blueberries like acidic soil which we do not have in Utah but their is a variety of blueberry that likes the alkaline. If you use plants that grow natively in your area you should be fine.

That said... In general Raspberries like pH of 5.5 - 6.5 and Blueberries like pH of 4.5 - 5.5.

Both like soil that has a lot of plant matter in it. So if you don't have a lot of compost then that is the place to start.

Again speaking in general... Raspberries need a moderate balance of all 3 nutrients (NPK). Blueberries are a nitrogen hungry plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here