Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mprevost_gw

Living Mulch?

mprevost
18 years ago

Preparing my very first garden.

I've been reading about permaculture a bit and have become interested in the concept of self-sustaining and self-feeding systems. I attended a lecture by Dr. Charles Reith the other day where used these terms.

I read an interesting thread about clover in the soil forum.

Has anyone used clover (or some other low growing nitrogen fixing plant) as a "living mulch" to feed their garden? This is sort of the concept behind a three-sisters garden, except all the plants involved there are directly useful in their own right -- which is closer o the ideal.

Does it out compete the vegetable plants and cause more harm than good (this is what I would guess and I have read such from others).

Also, would clover produce enough organic matter to maintain nutrients in the soil, or would I still have to pump in mulch and/or compost.

Does anyone know of another other way to make a vegetable garden "self-sustaining" or "self-feeding". BTW, space is at a premium. I'm starting with a 16'x34' spot (6 4'x16' intensive beds).

One idea I had was to interplant bush beans (nitrogen fixing legume) with broccoli. I'm not sure what these plants look like when they are grown though -- if one will shade the other too much. Might not see the benefits untill the next season. Not sure.

Thanks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living