Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoping4better

Graywater marsh/pond advice

hoping4better
13 years ago

I recently got the bug when reading Gaia's Garden to setup a marsh and pond greywater reclamation system, but need some further resources and direction. Basically, I will be moving to the American rural south soon and would like to set-up a small wetland and pond to clean the greywater sufficient to sustain clean healthy fish in a pond and possibly spend a little bit of time near/in the pond. Now, I don't plan on drinking the water nor having one large enough to swim in as this pond will be fed strictly from the home greywater from a family of 6 (dishes, daily showers, laundry) We may use overflow for the garden, but not 100% on that decision yet.

Where would you suggest to get the best and most reliable and detailed information? Alot of info is available, but it is all over the map from companies saying basically don't touch it becuase it's not clean even after processing to people saying to process it through buckets is enough and full scale companies with only vague details, but claiming pure water. So, I want to build this whole thing myself with clay liners, marsh plants, plenty of gravel and fish. I also want this more or less a self-sustaining system and the overflow will likely flow into a gravel filled swale near the gardens.

Thanks in advance!