Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
U.S. Permie seed sources

Posted by belgianpup Wa/Zone 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 2, 08 at 16:00

I am having trouble finding seeds for plants that would be suitable for permaculture use.

Right now, I would like to find seeds of Tagasaste/Tree Lucerne (Chamaecytisus palmensis) and Pigeon Pea seed (Cajanus cajan / Cajanus indicus).

Due to our whacked-out Homeland Security, getting seeds from outside the U.S. is not a viable option.

Either trades or commercial seed sources would be very welcome.

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: U.S. Permie seed sources

I buy seeds from companies outside the US all the time and have been doing it for years, no problemo. The vast majority of seed businesses abroad do not even ask you to fill out the "small packet" form from the USDA.

o

Here are a few sources for interesting seeds
j l hudson seed has CARAGANA, PURPLE GOOSEFOOT Tree Spinach, and many more

Johnny's Selected Seeds has a few interesting things

http://www.bountifulgardens.org/ Bountiful Garden has a perennial vegetable combo pack of interest as well as a perennial grain.

I haven't found Tagasaste/Tree Lucerne (Chamaecytisus palmensis) but suspect it may be a serious invasive species here as it has become in Australia. I would not advise planting in anywhere near open space.

Pigeon Pea - I was found these at a US seed company but when I put the name of the company in this post the Garden Web Folks blocked it for some reason???

Here is a link that might be useful: J L Hudson Seeds

o

I, too, would love to find Tree Lucerne (Tagasaste) here in the US. I have heard of people trying to order them from overseas, but never with success. Does anyone have any ideas, or if you're growing it maybe I could buy some seeds and/or get tips and experiences?

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here