Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Wild Edible Mushrooms

Posted by seraphima z4 AK (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 07 at 0:33

In our efforts to develop our permaculture homestead, we have stumbled across the ease of growing mushrooms. Every fall we harvest wild angel wings here- so easy to recognize, so tasty.

As I clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth before air drying them or cooking them right up, I put all the cleaned bits, slug-eaten corners, etc. into a bowl, and then take them out and toss them on suitable old logs and stumps, and even on two heaps of old rotting rough-cut lumber under some shading salmonberries. Over the course of three years, we have introduced these mushrooms into our (suitable and native)habitat, and now each fall they are abundant.

I read an excellent book, called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle wherein the author told about picking morels in the spring. She said to always carry the picked mushrooms in a string bag to scatter the spore through out the forest. I have started gathering all mushrooms in baskets, which accomplishes much the same.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Wild Edible Mushrooms

I know this is an old post. . .Great tip, good book. Does anyone know if it works with chanterelles? I found a nice patch of them and have been picking them for several years. Have saved the extra bits and scattered them, but this year there were no mushrooms due to the extreme drought. :( Hoping they come back next summer.

o

Here is some information on maintaining a wild mushroom habitat, and it looks like it has some good ideas.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild mushroom habitat

o

Thanks, Belgianpup, for the great tips!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here