Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie_tx

Please don't let this forum die!

Marie_TX
21 years ago

I like the topic, and I hope others do also. Please participate and keep the dialogue going.

Maybe someone could briefly explain the benefits of the "zone" system. This was never mentioned in the other permaculture forums, workshops, and discussions I have participated in. My understanding of the origins of the word "permaculture" is that it is a combination of permanent (sustainable) and agriculture. The zone system was part of a rather recent book, and is not part of what is taught at Permaculture seminars such as those conducted at sites around Texas. Is this correct, or am I misunderstanding it? -- Marie

Comments (4)

• seraphima
    21 years ago

Dear Marie,

Zones have been taught for quite a while, but I find that some ideas sort of pop out at me at different times, so it may not have been one that struck you when you first saw it.

Zones are usually numbered 1-5, with some people using zone 0 as the inside of their house. Zone 1 is the area immediately outside of the doors, where you walk every day and can give frequent attention. This is the place for herbs and salad greens you use all the time, for a nursery area for plants needing frequent attention, for containers of plants needing frequent watering, etc. Zone 2 might be for animals like chickens and rabbits, for your vegetable and flowers gardens. Zone 3, further out, might be for orchard and berry fruits, perennial vegetables like rhubarb and asparagus. Zone 4 might be grain fields, woodlots, and pastures. Zone 5 is wild land which is kept wild for study, enjoyment, animals, watershed, etc.

Hope this helps.

• earthbound
    21 years ago

Zones have always been an intrinsic part of permaculture, and permaculture is a combination of 'permanent' and 'culture', as it spreads a little further than just agriculture.

Zones are used as a guide to the design and placement of different facets of your permaculture system as seraphima mentions above.. like a framework or guidlines for your design.

• Linda_8B
    21 years ago

I would assume that this zoning is more for people with acreage. With land prices skyrocketing every year, fewer people will be able to afford anything more than a small city-size lot, which is a shame.

• mike_stubbs
    21 years ago

Linda, the zone system is NOT just for those with lots of land. Your zone limits may be smaller or you may skip a zone but they can still be included. In one of the books I read, they said that you should always include a zone 5 even if it is just a small part in the very back corner of your yard. There is not a specific size requirement for the zones, it all depends on your situation.
    I just heard of permaculture last year and it seemed to jump out at me as a great thing. I am not the most persitent person with my gardening but I am trying to incorporate some of the ideas. I like to read Toby Hemenways book, "Gaia's Garden". I have read parts of it or all of it about 3 times while sitting in the bookstore. I take notes too. It is very readable and a lot less expensive than Bill Mollisons. "Chicken Tractor" is also an interesting book to read.
    Mike Stubbs
    Mike Stubbs

Sponsored