Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gjcore

My first herb spiral

gjcore
14 years ago

I've been reading Gaia's Garden during the last few weeks. It's an interesting read. I'm not sure how much I can use all the information. I certainly don't see myself building swales or having much of a wildlife zone in my ~50x75 foot back yard but I'll give some things a try. I'm starting with a herb spiral. Though I might plant some other things besides herbs maybe some annual or perennial flowers, greens or small vegetables.

Not sure if I used rocks that were big enough but I guess it's a good first start. Worse case scenario I could use the rocks elsewhere and spread the planter's mix around and rebuild as it really didn't take much time once I had the supplies ready to go.

http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt344/gjcore/?action=view&current=rockspiral3.jpg

Comments (8)

• Belgianpup
    14 years ago

It looks pretty good!

I was thinking of making one, but I guess it will have to be next year. I'm so indecisive about where I want to put it. Out the back (kitchen) door is recommended, but that's the shady side of the house.

It would be great if you posted a link to what it looks like next year.

Sue

• vkirchner
    14 years ago

I also agree it would be nice to see this in full bloom. Nice job! We are just starting to design the Zone 0 which will involve a herb garden of some sort. I can design just about anything but I must get the approval of the Queen. She is a little more concerned about the neighbors than I am. :-))

• gjcore
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I could post a current picture but at the moment it wouldn't look too impressive. I covered it with thick layers of mulch (straw, leaves, spent brewery grains, etc.) at then end of fall time. It'll probably be another month or so until I remove most of the mulch to start letting the soil warm up.

• gjcore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's still early in the season here but the herb spiral is coming along. I tried to go for a little of a bunch of different things including sage, a few different types of thyme, sweet marjoram, cilantro, mustard, amish lettuce, lime basil, summer long basil, chives, garlic chives, dill, parsley, curly parsley and sorrel.

Hopefully water flow doesn't create problems when the thunderstorms start coming.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bekajoi
    13 years ago

Looks good! I love mine! I have 2, and they're just starting to get some useful things going in them.

Here is a link that might be useful: My spiral blog entry :)

• Belgianpup
    13 years ago

Your herb spiral looks great! Here it is almost a month later, and I'll bet is looks even better.

Sue

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

How do you get to the herbs to harvest them, and how do you keep the mint from taking over?

I have my herbs along a walkway, and the mint is quarantined with a bunch of dry packed dirt between it and the rest of the garden.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I don't suppose bekajoi will see this but I wanted to warn her/him about some of the plants in their pictures before it is too late. The variegated Bishop weed (labelled 'Mountain Snow') is a notorious invasive spreader and almost impossible to eradicate once its got a grip. And it is actually edible. It was introduced in its plain green form into the UK by the Romans as a food plant. We are NOT thankful. Sweet woodruff, Ajuga reptans and cerastium tomentosum are also spreaders which are very hard to control. I would think very hard before introducing any of these plants into my garden and certainly not into a herb spiral which I wanted to retain its shape. There was a reason why they were being given away free - they are impossible to get rid of and I think they saw you coming!

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz