Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate_rose_gw

Building Cisterrn - need plumbing advice

kate_rose
16 years ago

Hi,

I am currently getting ready for construction of a cement above ground cistern (2 actually). They will be built in to the walls of my sun room and I am planning to use them for thermal mass & rainwater storage.

Given that I want them to be long lasting my question is this.

There will be rebar (iron) in the walls of the cistern & given the heavy loading there is always the possibility that minute cracks will expose some of it to the slightly acidic rainwater.

I was thinking of using copper pipe to plumb in faucets, connections between the 2 cisterns etc. If there is copper in contact with the water and iron at the same time do I need to worry about a galvanic reactions corroding the iron??

If not, do I need to prevent the copper from resting against the iron within the walls? In other words put some sort of barrier between the 2 to prevent corrosion inside the walls. I ask this because when I wire the rebar frame together I was planning to wire the copper pipe against it to hold the pipe in place for the cement pour.

I could avoid copper altogether but then I am looking at PVC which I am not crazy about.

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kate

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living