Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay910

Please help

jay910
17 years ago

Hey im just wondering if used washing (cloths washing) water would it effect the groth,taste, or healthieness of the vegetables... and also if it id is there any washing powder/liqud that wouldnt effect it.. and also would there be any other risks involved in using the greywater on the vegetables

Comments (4)

• gardenlen
    17 years ago

g'day jay,

we use all our grey water on all our food plants, we apply it to the root zone not over head sprinkling. we also make our own washing detergent and use an eco' friendly dish detergent. i also save my wee water for the gardens.

our vege' always taste great and produce well, and we don't have any sickness so for us it is as safe as.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

• luisa
    17 years ago

Hello Jay,

I reuse all my laundry and kitchen water in the yard. The trick is to not eat parts of plants directly contacted by grey water. So usual advice is don't use it on root veggies. But vines, fruit trees and climbers are Ok.

I have been using laundry water for 4 years now and previously used it in another location also for about 5 years and never had problems with chemical buildup affecting the plants. I don't use a particular brand of detergent, still no problems.

Now our laws have been changed (Qld Aust) I will be getting legal greywater diversions put in so I can use the shower and laundry water legally and once all inspections are done, the illegal kitchen system will go back in too!!!

A good net source of info for reusing greywater is the Oasis design team
    www.oasisdesign.net/index.htm

Luisa

• pablo_nh
    17 years ago

Avoid bleach, borax, and heavy perfumes.

• gardenlen
    17 years ago

g'day luisa,

i live in qld and am unaware of any law change regarding grey water?

the brissy lord mayor was on tv the other night with a known gardening guru who was showing gardeners how he gets his grey water to his plants (no expensive system needed), he came across as supportive of the process and idea of using grey water.

len

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional