Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomegranate Guild

Posted by rufassa 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 16:51

I have told my mother that I will plant some pomegranate trees in here yard next spring. This is in Tallahasse, FL Zone 8. I want to plant a full guild with each tree.

The sit I am thinking of planting them in on a steep south facing hill. But there are two things that I need to research as I have not been able to find good answers.

1) I see that they like acidic soil so I want to know the best way to prep the ground. I was thinking I was going to dig out some swales and drop sulfer and pine needles down in the spot I am planning to plant.

2) What plants should I plant as companions. I am thinking of putting a couple blueberries in front with alpine strawberries growing as grown cover, and some flowering plant (possibly Chilean Jasmine or Honey Suckles) it will be Honeysuckle if I can determine that it can stand the same growing condition.

Any advice as to how best to adapt this idea? Will I need to add any particlar plants to help with pests?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomegranate Guild

Another thing is at the top of the hill is light forest growth. Would I benefit by going into the tree line with each guild? This will allow the falling leaves from the other trees to act as mulch and possible act as a wid break from three direction. Or would it be best to place it on the edge of the hill in front of the other trees where it would be part of the lawn?

o
RE: Pomegranate Guild

I wouldn't worry about the pH. Pomegranate grows like a weed in AZ and the soil here is typically very alkaline.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here