Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Looking Nitrogen Fixing Tree

Posted by CPTK 66441 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 18:15

Subject pretty much says it all. What is the best looking nitrogen fixing tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Looking Nitrogen Fixing Tree

I think Mesquite is the most common, but it is not a good looking tree! It is a smallish tree with brutal thorns and tough seed pods.

o

What zone?

You have lots of options in the tropics. (Eg Accacia) Fewer in temperate regions.

Eastern Redbud is a legume, but there is some dispute as to whether it fixes nitrogen. Ditto for honeylocust. Both are quite attractive.

Catalpa speciosa fixes nitrogen. Sort of funny looking to me, but it has flowers and a tropical look. Tough native but has brittle wood.

Black Locust definitely fixes nitrogen and is attractive but is quite invasive.

Speckled Alder and black alder definitely a nitrogen fixer but are a bit scrubby.

o

"Caesalpinia ferrea"
Brazillian Ironwood also known as Leopard tree
Its a stunning tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leopard Tree

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here