Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spelt

Posted by edgar_1 z6NY (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 27, 08 at 20:27

I planted spelt in my large back garden here in Brooklyn(lucky to have that) late september birds feasted and I am not sure I raked in deep enough. New to this. Now just a few shoots appear.
Don't think the sparrows ate all the seeds. What happens next. Do Shoots arrive later in winter or did I miss out not planting early enough...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spelt

I think spelt is a type of wheat, so you want to plant in the spring or summer, so it has enough time to develop, since its not a perennial. You broadcast in spring and if you have a sparrow problem you can string a net out a few inches above the ground to keep the little pricks out. Alternatively you can catch and eat the sparrows, much more nutritive content per acre than spelt(0 acres or so) and house sparrows are an invasive species anyways.

o

Spelt is large-seeded and well protected from most seed eaters while growning. The seed is tightly wrapped inside the glumes. Hard to thresh free of the covering for both you and other seed eaters. I don't know how well this grain will self-seed because the grain head doesn't "shatter" and scatter seed. Birds and rodent have an longer time to feast on the seeds.

You might have better luck saving seed, starting them inside and later transplanting out when soil warms.

o

Thank you people I learned yet again from experience I will take what you both said and process it.
Thanks again
E

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here