Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
swells

Posted by bigeasyjock z8Ms (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 25, 05 at 21:37

I have a wide mildly sloped site that drains a good part of my humble 8 acres. I would like to create swells to slow down the run off and have a veggie / fruit mix type space.
My question is how high does the backside of the swell, the capturing lip, need to be? How wide should the space between swells be to be effective at capturing the run off.
Anyone out there using swells?
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: swells

g'day mike,

reckon you mean swales hey? anyhow there are many ways to do this task maybe if you read my permaculture essay on my site then you could always e/mail me for more info' or ask more detailed questions here and i will respond.

len

mail len

lens garden page

o
RE: swells

Mike, I think a lot of the answers to your questions have a lot to do with your land. Slope, soil type, strength of rain event... How fast is rain going to come in, over how big of an area, and how fast can it soak into the ground? The difference between rain in and out tells you how much you'll need to temporarily store, and how big the swale should be.

How close swales are to each other is then a funtion of how big the individual swales are.

The bigger the berm/swale, the more microclimate variations there will be as you go up it.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here