Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which legume to grow?

Posted by silkcom 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 0:43

I'm hoping to add nitrogen into my raised beds. I have a crop of garlic in most of the beds, but am looking for something that will grow well after the garlic is out. Evidently garlic comes out in july. I've been looking at black eyed peas, because they are easy to get the seeds from the grocery store, and even if they go to seed they can still help the soil. This last one isn't a requirement, but it is convenient.

Looks like i have about 80-90 days of no frost, and have a small hoop house over the top of my beds if needed.

I'm wondering, what legumes am i not thinking of? I want to either til them into the soil by hand (using a plot to cut them at the ground, and then a fork to mix them into the soil) or throw them on the compost pile, either is fine. If i can get beans out awesome, if not, no worries.

Any suggestions? And why :)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which legume to grow?

Most plants create the most nitrogen pre-seed setting stage. So to get the best fixation into your bed, you would grow a field pea for a short time and then, right before it flowers, cut it back and till it under (by hand or machine).
Why not rotate your nitrogen fixing? Start by cover cropping a few beds so that when your garlic comes out you can utilize some of those beds for other crops such as lettuces, zuccini and anything else you can cover in short time.
In the spring, you could then add a fast, cool season nitrogen fixer like hairy vetch and still be able to plant a nice summer garden.

o

the biointensive folks are really big on fava as a compost crop. In addition to nitrogen, it makes a good volume of biomass. Great cool season legume.

o

Fava, i hadn't considered them yet. I'll look into the dates and times for it. I was currently planning on black eyed peas. Thanks for the suggestion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here