Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
straw bale garden update +

Posted by gardenlen s/e qld aust (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 29, 06 at 19:19

g'day friends,

we hope all had a very merry season and a happy new year to come.

anyhow we have added more pics of the straw garden to date plus some general shots around the garden environ'.

we hope you get the time to look and enjoy as we enjoy the giving.

straw bale garden

len

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: straw bale garden update +

Great pictures - what a terrific project! Amazing what you've managed in a limited space (and with clever re-use of water)...

:o)

o

Great stuff Len! I was involved in a thread on the soil forum (I think) where someone kept saying that half finished compost could not be used around growing plants. Well- I sheet/lasagna mulch and throw veggie scraps right there on the bed and the person kept doubting that my garden would produce.

I'm glad to see someone else doing this and documenting it. Great site.

o

g'day pablo,

if you add that sort of material and as i do with kitchen scraps to the top of the medium under the hay/straw it won't affect the plants and will break down in due course.

my worm farming and composting all happens in the garden beds nowadays, just can't see the reason to add in extra processes when nature does it more direct. i used to do compost piles/bins/tumblers & worm farms.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: len's garden page

o

With you on that bro. I only maintain a compost pile to hot compost meats/bones/etc. (you know... what many call "uncompostable"- LOL)

I clean out my rabbit boxes (litter trained rabbits) and throw manure, spent hay, and urine soaked wood pellets (now sawdust) right onto beds.

When I went to put my garden to bed for the winter- it was 6"+ deep in pure worm castings. I more or less failed at indoor worm bins, but they sure found my garden. I have since piled it up with maybe 40 bags of other people's discarded leaves, my other scraps, and garden refuse. The worms may even do well over the winter with this insulation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here