Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevin00_gw

Need help, ants inside of fig tree.

kevin00
10 years ago

Hi guys, so I was pruning my old fig tree and notice there are ants coming out of the branches. As I cut off the bigger branches, I would see more ants inside of it, and the center of it are full of holes. Not sure if they are termites or not, they looks like ants, but really big, some larva, some with wings. Never seen anything like this, what should I do guys?

Comments (9)

• kevin00
    Original Author
    10 years ago

more pics

• kevin00
    Original Author
    10 years ago

more pics

• kevin00
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one of the larve

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Where in the United States are you. This is a very big place with many ecosystems that may have an affect on what responses you get.
    Those ants are symptom of a problem. If they are fairly large and black in color they most likely are Carpenter Ants which like to find cavities in trees to nest in, moist cavities.
    Generally, unless there are other problems ants in trees are not major problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ants in trees

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

That's a termite larva. Termites love trees and depending upon the location of yours, can be cause for considerable alarm.

If your fig is pretty large, you might want to consider having an ISA Certified arborist come out to assess its overall condition. All of that rot in the interior of this branch is not a good sign. Termites can weaken (structurally) an already damaged tree.....in a big hurry.

There really isn't anything that you, personally, can do to get rid of the termites in an infested tree OR house. It's a job for professionals. The ISA arborist can determine whether or not the fig is salvagable or simply a hazard. (Don't call any old tree guy. Only someone well trained can do a tree assessment.

If the fig can be saved, then you can go to step 2 and find someone who can treat the termites. It will take special techniques and chemicals. If you own your home, call your own contracted exterminator. They will want to know about the tree, anyway.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would do two things...

first plant a new tree or two ...

second.. get rid of the old tree ... i dont like to spend money on trees with gaping holes INSIDE THE TRUNK ...

even if properly treated and the bugs destroyed. you are still left with a tree with a hollow trunk .. dont you think???

though location matters in my equation .... if it threatens anything.. it goes ... if its out in the middle of 5 acres.. and threatens no one .. it can stay.. i will watch it deteriorate ... if its in a yard the size of a postage stamp.. i would probably need the space for something better ... etc ...

let it never leave your mind.. IT IS HOLLOW ...

ken

10 years ago

Ken...trees can live for a very long time with a hollow trunk. A certified arborist can help determine, based on numerous factors, if the tree needs to be removed or not. Ley me know if you're interested in knowing some of those factors.

Remember that we don't even know how much of the tree is affected by internal rot and/or termites.

• kevin00
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys. But hiring a certified arborist sounds very expansive, any recommendation for a good effective ant spray I could use? Also, with the branch cut, rotted hole exposed, should I do something to block the holes?

10 years ago

They aren't ants. And an over-the-counter ant spray won't do a darned thing. Termites or carpenter ants, for that matter, cannot be controlled with that kind of product.

If you cannot afford to call in the professionals (I totally get that!) , you need to make some decisions. If this tree is large enough to cause damage to property or to inflict serious physical injury or worse when it starts to collapse, cut it down now and haul it away. Is it big enough, in bad enough shape, and close to the home, sidewalk, patio, or driveway? If so, OFF WITH ITS HEAD!

Be forewarned that once the tree is gone, those termites will seek other food sources.