Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To kill or not to kill

Posted by markrendo Sydney (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 5, 12 at 2:00

Hi All

I am fiercly defensive of my Avacado Tree is any one looks at it wrong I get the hose out.

So I need some help in determining the fate of these guys, they look like little lady bugs they run around and behave liek them but they have no spots but are shiny and jet black. I know there are good and bad bugs I'm willing to let these guys stay if they are good.

Would anyone know what they are?

Ta

Mark

Image link: To kill or not to kill (55 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To kill or not to kill

Are you seeing any damage to the tree?
Not being in Australia I am not aware of you have something similar to our USDA Cooperative Extension Service tp go to, but you may want to look around to see if there is. I find listings for several garden help places most of which appear to be radio or tv programs that can take months to answer questions.

o

There are about three thousand species in the genus that contains the insect commonly known as the lady bug (which isn't actually a bug at all, since it possesses two pairs of wings, a hard exoskeletal wing and a membranous flying wing).

I am by no means as expert in beetles, or insects, but as far as I know, the genus does not feed on plants. If any do, the damage would be visible as chewing or notching on leaves.

o

Mark, any chances of sending us some further pictures?

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 23:36

I'm curious too. I've seen something that size and color, very few, and always in the same area of my garden for a few years now. Like maybe two a year?

I don't know what they are, and the OPs appear more rounded while I'd describe my own as slightly more elongated....more '0' than 'O'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here