Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Grub

Posted by domehome 9b CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 12, 10 at 2:26

We discovered the ugliest grub or larvae I have ever seen today. It was wiggling around in some decaying downed pine tree wood. This thing was huge - like 3 1/2 inches. The head end was rounded and larger than than the tail, and it had what looked like back bone under it's creepy white skin. Anybody have any guesses what this might be.
I am totally grossed out.
Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Grub

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 12, 10 at 12:37

Maybe some type of carpenterworm? They can get huge. There are many types - I think there may be one that is specific to pine.
hortster

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to carpenterworm

o

That's closer than anything I've found on the web. I may take one of these things down to the farm bureau or to the Department of Agriculture and ask. I'll take a picture of it today and post it later.
Dee

o

Pine Borer beetle

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine Borer Beetle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here