Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anva_gw

Is this Millipedes in my houseplant soil?

anVa
9 years ago

There are at least 30 or 40 of them. Most of them are smaller than the one in the picture. The smaller one are not this darker. They are little white. What should I do now? I have two small kids in the house. Is it going to be dangerous for them? Please help.

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

whats the houseplant ...

repot it in fresh soil ... if appropriate ....

i bet a nickle.. you had the plant outdoors last summer.. on the ground????

i hope most are smaller than this one.. crikey.. look at it.. its over 3 inches long in this pic... lol ... a scale would help next time ...

centipede.. is my guess.. based on google images .... compare at link ... if you think you can handle it... lol ..

now to be clear .. if its a 5 dollar plant ... dont go spending 10 dollars on new potting media .. just throw it out.. and buy a new plant ... eh? ... that kind of solves all your problems in one toss .... it would be a different issue if this is great grandma's 100 year old heirloom plant ... then the money spent.. would be worthwhile ...

there is a very active houseplant forum .. where you can get the ID ... and specific advice to said plant ....

welcome to GW ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• anVa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think it's centipede. Search in google with "small Millipedes". I see many similar pics like this one. Plus, centipedes have two small tail kind of thing in the end (back end). I don't see that in this. How do you say this is centipede? I didn't plant outside. This is a new plant, I bought two weeks ago, and I put organic soils. I have more than 5 plant soils like this. Only one has a lot. Others have very few.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Definitely a millipede. Perfectly safe for kids to play with them. Safe for the kids, I mean, not the millipede!

Two pairs of legs per segment and a cute face instead of scary fangs (mandibles) make it a millipede and not a centipede.

I don't know if they'll disturb your plant though!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Plain ol' garden millipede. I'd really not want them hanging around my home! They either came with the plant or were in the potting mix and I'd take some action right away.

By that, I mean to take the potting mix back and whichever plant is most infested. Buy a good potting medium and examine the bag carefully for any rips or punctures, even the tiniest.

Then, repot the rest of your plants (outside). I'd pick up some horticultural grade Diotomaceous Earth while you're in the garden center and use a bunch of it when you're repotting.

• ronalawn82
    9 years ago

anVa, I'd say millipede, judging from this.