Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with papaya seedlings

Posted by aiedail none (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 6:03

These seedlings are about 2 weeks old and i just transplanted them into these paper pots. they used to be in a plastic egg tray but then the roots were starting to crawl out of the drainage holes so i moved them to bigger pots. Now, they are drying up. i watered them after the transplant but still. Is it something in the soil because i just used some compost with a bit of top soil? Is it a disease? Contagious? i have 2 seedlings that are like this now. Can i save them? Please, any help will be immensely appreciated.

Kaye

photo 2014-01-24183038_zpsb7901caa.jpg

photo 2014-01-24064239_zpsb430d664.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with papaya seedlings

by transplanting.. you interrupted the roots ability to pump water ... so it sacrificed the first leaves ... to protect the inner bud.. which does look fine ...

watering was not enough.. you should have tented them.. in a plastic bag.. for increased ambient moisture.. aka humidity ...

the first definitely has some nice growth growing.. i wouldnt be concerned .. and second pic is out of focus...

and i might put them in a temp greenhouse.. plastic bag.. for a few days... but not in sun ... dont need the heat.. need the humidity ...

ken

o

okay, yeah sorry about the second pic. I'll try tenting them. Thanks ken

o

Soil is the wrong thing to use in pots. Drainage is extremely poor.

Always use potting mix in containers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here