Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good or bad caterpillars?

Posted by enoughcliches Tropical (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 15, 07 at 10:22

I recently found the culprits that have been munching holes in my hibiscus plants.

The first one is a slender, green caterpillar shown below.

The second is a small, white-ish caterpillar (I think) with a black head. I can't post any pictures of this one yet because I just found it tonight. Not only is it chewing up the younger leaves but also rolling up the edges with webbing.

Are these 'good' or 'bad' caterpillars? Should I remove them immediately or let nature take its course and balance them out with predators?

Image link: Good or bad caterpillars? (56 k)

Here is a link that might be useful: Green caterpillar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good or bad caterpillars?

I'd be tempted to remove them by hand and toss them where birds are likely to find them.

o

Me too, hahaa. I don't mind a few raggedy leaves, but I'm just worried that the population of 'bad' caterpillars will somehow go out of control and start swarming my poor plants.

o

That could be any one of about one hundred moth larva that do chew on leaves and these can be controlled in the early stages of life, if dunking them is too much, (first three weeks) with sprays of Bacillus thurigiensis - Kurstaki. After that time Neem Oil sprays or pyrethrin dusts keeping in mind that both of these are broad spectrum poisons and should only be used as a laste resort.

o

Actually, Bacillus should probably be used only when the caterpillar population threatens the plant (or crop). Excess use of this bacterium threatens non target larvae of Lepidoperans.

If merely a few caterpillars are present, they could be bird food by the time someone mixed up a batch of Bt-K and applied it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here