Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zestyrose

Is this fungus or viral infection on the leaves

Zestyrose
11 years ago

I have noticed that some lower leaves on an old wall climer shrubs has yellow spots and some strange fungus looking spots (shown on the image attached), and other leaves have small yellow spots within them. I am wondering what that is, if there is a natural way to treat them, or do I have to chop it down altogether?

Thanks alot for any helpful hints and suggestions:)

Comments (11)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

The large tan blotch is sunburn from looong ago.
    Tough to say what the other colors indicate.

- Any chance of telling us the name of the wall climber?
    - Also, any chance of a picture of more of the climber which includes the lower leaves?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

the proverbial.. and literal.. green thumb..

i love it.. lol ...

is this evergreen in Jordan???

your best bet for info.. is to get a full ID ...

it is .. IMHO .... hard to delineate whether an infection is the cause of the damage.. or the result of some previous damage.. that opened the leaf structure for a secondary infection ...

and refresh my memory.. are you above or below the equator ... what season are you in ...

ken

• Zestyrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This "vine or ivy" climber has been in our garden before we moved. Here is another picture, I can't find the name of it, but I think it is a common garden vine that covers walls and fences. I have noticed that it produced small berry like fruits.

I don't know, I think my only bet at this point is to prune and remove all these diseased leaves and keep an eye on it over spring when new leaves come out! Not sure if I should fertilize these shrubs.

Ken, We are above the equator, its winter now!

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

You may be seeing a nutrient deficiency rather then a disease. If Jordan does not have an Agricultural support service such as the Cooperative Extension Service in the USA you may well just be guessing, forever.

11 years ago

no plant holds its leaves forever. ...

the pic above.. presuming its a current pic .... the outer .. newer leaves look just fine.. including vigorous new lime green shoots ...

all the damaged ones.. SEEM to tend to be interior ...

if so ... well what problem can there be.. but age.. if the outer all look fine ... if it were disease .. wouldnt the outer leaves show such??? .. and they look a healthy green.. so what deficiency can there be???

and therefore.. if it were me... i would jsut water it ... i personally NEVER fertilize a stressed plant ... but if its growing with vigor.. what does it need???? .. of course.. a LITTLE of this or that.. fert.-wise.. shouldn't hurt ...

ken

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 7:36

• Zestyrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, I think your right about the age thing since there are new healthy growths. Perhaps I will just trim off the old interior leaves and hopefully fertilize it mildly in the spring.

Thanks for the patience though, I am kinda new at large scale gardening :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi and welcome to Gardenweb!

Your vine could be mature Hedera helix, or one of the other Hederas. Doubtful any pest would kill it, but you may have pests there that are not here.

11 years ago

hey purp .. all those little pots you bought/got.. has got your use of english all twisted in knots ...

I THINK you are trying to say the culprit may be long gone????

=====

i wouldnt bother picking off all the old leaves.. once you establish that there is not problem ... usually they fall off in spring by themselves.. as the new growth activates ...

but if you want the exercise.. fresh air.. and sunshine.. i could think of a lot of other less enjoyable projects.. besides.. you might find some remnant of the culprit ... and ID is the best source of info ....

ken

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Well, better cross your fingers that you don't import one or more new problems when you haul in the soil.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Ken, Zesty is in the country Jordan. I was saying there may be pests of ivy there that aren't in the US. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. (But yes, the tiny plants have gone to my head!)

11 years ago

boy that wasnt how i read it .. lol ..

so i was suggesting transitory/migratory pests .. meaning a young pest feasted.. and moved on in adult form.. perhaps ...

and you suggested regional .. something we might not think of ...

go figure.. words mean things ...

ken