Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimr36

Vegs./herbs that attrack moths/caterpillars

jimr36
12 years ago

First off, I'm looking to avoid increasing the population of moths/caterpillars in my garden, not increase them. It looks like I need to be better familiar with what attracts them though.

I was thinking of trying some new plants this year - mostly herbs - that are also edible. But I started to realize that they may be counterproductive. For example, I was going to plant milk thistle, but then found out that they attract sphinx moths / hornworms. I'm sure they'll come back anyway this year due to tomatoes, but maybe I can reduce the chances by being careful with the other plants.

Does anyone know about borage, lemon balm, and nasturtium, as far as helping or making matters worse? I know the first two attract bees, but I'm not sure how the three factor in with moths/caterpillars. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• jimr36
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry for the mispelling. Meant "attract"...

• hortster
    12 years ago

I don't know about the plants you listed, but since you mentioned herbs I can tell you that my dill and parsley provide a haven for the black swallowtail butterfly caterpillars. They are easy to spot because of their colorful striping but a fresh hatch can strip a plant in two or three days. Beautiful butterfly, but...
    hortster

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Ditto to what horster said about parsley and swallowtails. I plant enough for both of us, but I enjoy the butterflies. I also grow Anaphalis margaritacea (Pearly Everlating) just to draw more butterflies in. I haven't noticed caterpillars on my nasturtiums, but have have seen White-lined Sphynx Moths taking nectar from the flowers.

tj

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Just about everything that grows could be a host plant for any of the larva of about every moth or butterfly. What you need to do is determine what level on insect activity you are willing to support, instead of simply trying to eliminate any and all of it.
    The episode of Growing a Greener World linked below might be of some interest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pest control

• jimr36
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks tsugajunkie! That white-line sphinx moths are attracted to nasturtiums is important information. That plant could therefore bring in higher numbers of sphinx moths (and hornworms) to lay eggs on the tomotoes.

I'd rather just avoid a plant, then make matters worse. Although many plants can become host plants for the larva (as mentioned directly above) cutting down on what might bring them in in the first place seems to be the key.

I'll continue to research on borage and lemon balm...

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Jim, you're on the right track! It's always a terrific idea to research FIRST before bringing in plants that may have a well documented pest problem (insect or disease). Many people skip that step or are uninformed as to how helpful it is.

I practice prevention all the time, not only for seasonal plants but make careful selections of my trees and shrubs, as well. Plant selection is an important step in any good IPM program.

Here's what I know about borage and lemon balm...the former is not likely to give you many problems and is a good addition to your herb garden. However, lemon balm can be something of a magnet for whitefly, mites, and aphids. It can be prone to powdery mildew and pesky mint rust is always a possibility. Many people find that it is worth the effort on pest control, but not for me.

• jimr36
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks rhizo_1. That's the direction I'm going in. I'm going try out borage close to the garden bed, but I'm going to try just one lemon balm, in a container, far from the bed. Then I can better control the environment and see how it does, while getting some familiarity and a little experience with the plant.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Keep in mind that there are some 100 members of the Sphinx Moth family and apparently the larva of each one feeds on different plants. There is a lot of misinformation out there about many larva and what they feed on, so be careful of your sources.
    There are some of us that purposely plant things, away from the main garden, meant to attract many different moths and butterflies because the larva are food sources for many of the predators we want in our gardens, so not planting some things might be more detrimental, overall, then planting them.

12 years ago

Jim, I was going to suggest that. Lemon balm is such a nice culinary herb, it's worth experimenting with.

• nico_girl3
    12 years ago

If you do come across a good number of hornworms in your garden I suggest maybe "harvesting" them and sell them or donate them to reptile keepers. They are an excellent food source. I had some on my grapes last year and I would pick them off and give them to my leopard gecko.

12 years ago

Many reptile owners won't use garden harvested tomato/tobacco hornworms. The concentrated toxins in the caterpillars can cause problems for some reptiles. Tomato leaves are toxic.

But there are plenty of other hornworm and caterpillar species around, that's for sure!