Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amorninglory

Snails

amorninglory
12 years ago

In removing a dead annual from its pot I noticed a snail the size of a pea in the soil. During the summer I also noticed an occasional snail in the yard. Where do they come from, are they harmful, if so what should I do to get rid of the occasional snail, if anything ?

Comments (6)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

They can do a considerable amount of damage to perennials and other plants. They'll chomp tiny seedlings down to the ground. Not sure I can answer where they come from but once you have them they will chew holes in your hostas and other plants.

Getting rid of them...there are several organic methods. Fill the lid of a mayonaise jar with beer--I've heard the snails will crawl in and drown. Sprinkle them with table salt and they'll dissolve into a milky goo right before your eyes. I've also read to place a wide board on the ground and they'll gather beneath it for shade & moisture. Lift the board and dispose of the ones you find.

My own preferred method (so far) is to save egg shells and in spring just sprinkle the crushed eggshells around my plants. Snails won't crawl across the shells because it'll cut them. Diatomaceous earth works on a similar theory but I've never tried it. A friend gave me three bars of Fels naphtha soap and suggested I cut it into cubes and set them near my plants in spring to discourage snails. I haven't tried it yet so can't vouch for its effectiveness.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Diatomaceous earth has very limited effectiveness against slugs and snails, whose slime seems to protect them from the physical harm of this product. Since DE is so harmful to such a wide variety of beneficial soil insects, I'd not recommend tossing it around as a preventative for these gastropods.

The other methods of control mentioned by garden weed are tried and true....though I can't imagine why Fels Naptha would repel them, lol.

There are organic approved slug/snail baits with the active ingredient iron phosphate that are very effective in killing these creatures, if you find that the population is abundant. In the meantime, I would simply collect and dispose of any that you find or set out a few beer traps.

• amorninglory
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've heard of the methods above for slugs on Hostas etc. but the Fels Naptha sounds interesting if I can find it anymore. I will check for iron phosphate as well. My method so far is to throw them in the pond for the goldfish. Thank you

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

You'll find the iron phosphate baits under a variety of labels/names = Sluggo, Ortho Elementals, Escargo, Worry Free, others.

Anything that will reduce slug populations in gardens will work for snails.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

At my place, what the snail does determines its fate. Some are scavengers. Those survive.

So before you annihilate, I suggest you take a sample (secured in a clear, rigid container) to your county's Extension Service office.

Find it using this map
    http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Serivce office

• garf_gw
    12 years ago

Something was eating one of my tomatoes. A little more was gone every day. I finally went out at night and saw a snail eating the tomato. The snail went airborne to the roof of a neighbors shed. I have no slugs, just snails.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists