Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justphish

Is there a Mealy Bug control for soil?

justphish
17 years ago

Hello everyone. I have searched on the subject and I just can't seem to find what I am looking for. I currently have a mealy bug infestation...again. I used the sprays last time, but unfortunately one of my plants has hundreds of leaves which twist and curl and provide tons of safe places to hide. The only way to chemically treat this plant would be if it was completely submerged in the chemical for a day.

Is there a treatment that can be added to the soil or perhaps to the water given to the plant which will kill mealy bugs or keep them from eating?

There must be other alternatives.

Thanks,

JP

Comments (25)

• jean001
    17 years ago

What are you trying to grow? The curly-leaved hoya? If so, it's *very* susceptible to mealybugs.

Perhaps the best way to manage the mealies on such a plant is to begin with a clean specimen then be a fanatic about checking daily for the earliest stage of an infestation.

Once found, spritz with insecticidal soap, unless the label states otherwise for the plant you are trying to grow.

• katy122
    17 years ago

Ihad mealy bugs on my Jade plant , I took it too my favorite nursery and they mixed up some insecticidial soap, turned the plant upside down and gave it a bath and then they told me to replant it in new sterile planting soil, they said to knock off most of the old soil with water,so that is what I'm going to do next...I now have a thanksgiving cactus that is vertually covered with mealy bugs,I dont think there is much hope for it, I'm probably going to toss it in garbage.....

• heptacodium
    17 years ago

I guess I'm lost as to what you are looking for.

Most soil drenches are either fumigants (kill everything, tend to be highly restricted) or fungicidal. There are some general purpose sprays that can be used to control pests like fungal gnats that use the soil as a habitat. Use of on of these may be acceptable, just be aware you'll have to use it a few times.

In my experience, mealybug is one of the toughest to get rid of. Believe it or not, my greatest success has been with a sharp stream of water on a regular basis. Decent pressure from a garden hose, pistol grip spray gun with the narrowest spray pattern.

I've had people tell me insectical soap and rubbing alcohol, but in my expereince, they have acted more as an attractant than an insecticide...but that's my experience on my plants in my place. Change anyone of those, you may may alter the whole equation.

If you have a highly infected plant, and it's commonly found and lacks great sentimental value, I'd recommend deep sixing it getting a new one.

If you have a plant that has great sentimental value, spinosad, neem, and Bt may be your best avenues. Be prepared to be persistant, to try things yourself, and to find something that seems to fly in the very face of all practical advice.

Now, there are systemic insecticides that are applied usually to the soil, sometimes foliar, and absorbed by the plant...although how practical for a single plant application (unless large), I do not know. I fyou want to know more, let me know and I'll look into it a bit more.

• kitisi
    17 years ago

I have a pygmy date palm that I can not get rid of the mealy bugs, i have even tried commercial sprays each week and they still come back, is there a way to put the plant in a plastic bag and spray anything in the bag to totally kill the pests, im getting fustrated

• Kimmsr
    17 years ago

Since mealybugs do not lay eggs in the soil a soil treatment would be a waste of time, money, and energy. Insectidal soaps, made from real soap not detergents, are effective if the target, the mealybug, is sprayed but not effective if all you spray is the plant. Insecticidal soaps have no residual affect. 1 teaspoon of a real soap (Ivory, Fels Naptha) in 1 quart of water is all that is needed but this solution must get on the mealybug, adults, nymphs, and eggs, to be effective.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mealybugs

• jean001
    17 years ago

It was said: "Since mealybugs do not lay eggs in the soil..."

Unless the problem is soil mealybugs.

If so, the entire life cycle is in the soil. Unless, that is, things get crowded down there, in which case, some move upstairs.

• ifraser25
    17 years ago

Neem Oil.

• minpin01
    12 years ago

There is a sestemic control for them, which you spray on and the plant absorbs it and it can then protect itself. I think this is more what you are looking for.
    It is called Movento

Here is a link that might be useful: Movento

• AnnaBchill
    9 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I am in San Diego, I have a mealybug infestation in succulents that are planted in the ground (about 200 plants). I have been treating as people have suggested in this post, pulling out each plant, washing the mealies off with dish washer soap and water. My girlfriend suggested to use Dawn because it is used to clean off birds in oil spills. I have a follow-up question, Katie (above) said that the nursery told her to "knock off" the soil with water and re-plant in sterile soil. what does that mean, to "knock off" the soil?

Succulents are easily overwatered. My concern is that even if I diligently watch and clean every plant, very frequently, I am pretty sure putting that plant back into its soil will get it infested again. So I really want to understand this business of "sterile" soil.

Does it mean I need to dig up the top layer of soil and trash it and replace it?

What does one do with all the soil you dig up?

I could really use the help, thanks so much.

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

Anna, the sterile soil advice is for plants grown in containers - I think anyway. I am not sure what happens when you have succulents planted in the ground that have mealybugs. There is probably a different approach.

• AnnaBchill
    9 years ago

Thanks RioSeven, is there a better place for me to ask the question?
    Anna

• kclost
    9 years ago

Mealybugs (from an Orchid article)
    Mealybugs are serious pests for orchid growers. Infestations show as white wooly spots on your orchid, which are easily mistaken for white fungus. Mealybugs are tiny insects that secrete a whitish waxy substance to hide their bodies, and this is what gives the appearance of a fungus covering leaves, stems and potting media. While snow mold grows in the potting media and on the roots, mealybugs will infest the entire plant. Remove small infestations with a cotton swab or soft toothbrush dipped in 70-percent isopropyl alcohol. If the infestation is severe, remove the plant from the pot and eliminate all mealybugs from the roots by treating them with horticultural oil, neem oil or insecticidal soaps. Repot your orchid in a new pot with clean potting media. If the infestation persists, your orchid may require chemical treatment with insecticides containing acephate, malathion, carbaryl or diazinon. When using insecticides, read the label thoroughly, follow all safety recommendations, and never exceed the recommended application rate.

• AnnaBchill
    9 years ago

Kclost and Rio,
    Wow, awesome info, thank you SO much!
    An education is the best defense, well, that plus putting it into action.
    I feel bolstered now.
    Anna

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Dawn dishwashing liquid (the manufacturer does not call it a soap) is not a soap it is a detergent and can do harm to plants. This product is not an Insecticidal Soap.
    Control of Mealybugs can be difficult although sprays of just plain water, that knock the wee buggers off the plants, can help, Insecticidal Soaps (not detergents) can help. Rubbing Alcohol dabbed on with cotton swabs can help. Insecticides often kill off any predators of Mealybugs which does not help. Systemic insecticides, used with flowering plants, appear to have adverse affects on the pollinators.

• AnnaBchill
    9 years ago

kimmsr,
    Thank you for that warning about Dawn dishwasher detergent, I really appreciate the help!!!

I will look for an insecticidal soap. Such as neem oil? Boneem?

Also, I am digging up each plant, hosing each one down and replanting in new soil, quarantined in plastic pots about a foot away from each other.

Do I need to treat the ground soil to make IT sterile before I put the plants back in the ground??

How long must I wait before I can put them back in the ground? Will distilled white vinegar or sterilize the soil?
    A thank You SO Much!!
    Anna

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Neem Oil products are not the same as Insecticidal Soaps, although sometimes you can find Insecticidal Soaps that also contain Neem Oil.
    Sterilizing garden soil is difficult and often not very effective. Some may suggest solarizing the soil, but since it is known that the beneficial soil organisms will move out of the range of the heated soil the insect pests most likely would be smart enough to do the same.
    Some gardeners have had good results with Insecticidal Soap while others have resorted to dormant oils. Be aware that most of the pesticides will do more harm to the predators of Mealy Bugs then to them.

• AnnaBchill
    9 years ago

kimmsr,

"be aware that most of the pesticides will do more harm to the predators of mealybugs then to them."

does this suggest that using only water is best? what would you do?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

No, contact insecticides like neem oil, horticultural oil or insecticidal soaps target sucking, softbodied insects primarily, like the mealybugs or immature scale or aphids. The ladybug (ladybird beetle) type insects that are the primary biological predators of mealybugs are not affected by these types of sprays (nor are most other predatory insect species, for that matter) , although I would avoid spraying directly on them if present.

To help control mealybugs in outdoor soil (root mealybugs) you can mix diatomaceous earth in to the planting holes before replanting.

• AnnaBchill
    9 years ago

Gardengle48,
    Awesome, that is just what I want, to kill these soft bodied mealybugs without killing everything else. (well, except the ants, I want them to go away too).

Just yesterday I purchased insecticidal soap from the nursery as well as diatomaceous earth. I was continuing my research on the diatomaceous earth but you are the very first to actually mention it. Thank you!

Two nights ago I read a post called "get rid of ants for good", The recommendation was in short to make a mix of three-quarter teaspoon Borax with 10 tablespoons of maple syrup. The idea is that you want the ants to live long enough to bring the goodies back to the nest. This morning in one of my variously placed ant traps I am finally seeing the trail to point out where the ants are coming from.

I followed the trails and actually found some holes that must be where the Queens live. I say Queens in plural because there are multiple colonies in my yard and neighborhood. I understand it is the ants that are spreading the mealybugs. I am probably calling all ants for all of my neighbors right now. They are lucky to have me :)

This may seem a digression for some but I have been told ants are eating the mealybug honey dew, that spreads the mealybugs. Love this thread and am very grateful as I was unable to get help from the succulent group.

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

You can find videos on You Tube of ants farming mealybugs. They move them around and everything!

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

The target insects of any insecticide does not necessarily mean that beneficial insects will not be harmed by them. Very few insecticides are so specific poisons that they will not harm predators of the harmful insects, pollinators, or just rather innocuous insects.
    Always use any insecticide with due care, keeping in mind that its use might harm the good guys.

• petertatua
    8 years ago

Mealybugs in soil is what has stressed me much on how to really control

• Jeanne Breaux
    6 years ago

I'm late but you must kill the ants first, then the mealybugs

• kimmq
    6 years ago

Most probably you will not be able to kill all of the ants so that means of control is not a good option.

A sharp spray of water will dislodge the wee buggers and sprays of insecticidal soap can help with control. However, research has shown that insect pests, such as mealybugs, are more attracted to plants that are not strong and healthy, so a good soil test to see if the soil those plants are growing in is what those plants need.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!