Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ti Plant- Mites? ?

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 11:47

this Ti plant was brought indoors this past fall. As usual I sprayed all plants w/fungicide before bringing in. This particular Ti plant has continued to get 'webs', and what appears to be 'mildew' on the leaves...I sprayed again...and yet I still notice this problem. Should I dispose of the plant? Cut it back? continue to spray?? Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Image link: Ti Plant- Mites? ? (53 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ti Plant- Mites? ?

I certainly see evidence of spider mites, but don't know what you were spraying a fungicide for. What did this 'mildew' look like?

Anyway, the spider mite infestation appears to be significant. Without seeing more of the plant, we cannot suggest that you dispose of it. Sometimes, if it appears that the mites are winning the battle, that is the best thing to do. In most instances, however, other measures will work. Cutting the plant back severely and beginning a routine of rinsing, washing, and spraying with plain water, insecticidal soap, rubbing alcohol solutions, and all of the above can do the trick.

Fungicides are for specific fungal disorders, not for spider mites.

More pictures would be helpful.

o

OOPS! I told you wrong, I was using a rose & flower insect killer by Ortho, says it also kills houseplant insects on contact and continues!??? So....maybe I need to cut it way back??

o

I haven't been able to (quickly) find the label of your product to see if spider mites are even listed. If you are using the product you've stated, the active ingredient is acetamiprid....which is generally never recommended for the control of spider mites. As a matter of fact, it can make them worse, since it kills beneficial insects while not doing much to the mites (which are not insects) at all.

So, in effect, all of your spraying has been for naught. I'd probably try the soap and water washes, plain water sprays, etc.

o

nope, the active ingredient in the product I used is : B-cyfluthrin & ,imadaccloprid.......and yes the label says it kills mites. So in spite of my spraying possibly being al for 'naught'...I just went ahead and wacked the top growth off and disposed.....it looked terrible anyway...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here