Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's this on my kale?

Posted by joannaqcw NY 4/5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 9, 11 at 12:15

I've been growing kale in my winter greenhouse for years; this is the first time I've had this grayish-white hairy or moldy-looking stuff growing on it. This stuff washes off, with real scrubbing, and the leaves still taste all right. I've sprayed pyrethrum (in case it was insect-related) and Actinovate (in case it was fungal) and the stuff doesn't go away. Now some is appearing on my tatsoi. The chard and lettuce aren't affected.
Any idea what this is or how I can get rid of it?

Image link: what's this on my kale? (55 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's this on my kale?

Not insects. Powdery mildew.

Increase the air circulation in your green house.

And discard, rather than spray, the affected leaves. Realize that you'll be eating any stuff you apply to the plant.

o

Thanks for the ID. That makes sense; due to prolonged cold gray weather I haven't been able to open the greenhouse for weeks, which is unusual.

A couple of follow-up questions, if anyone has time: Is it safe to eat leaves that have had powdery mildew, once they've been washed? And what should I do besides removing affected leaves, increasing air circulation, and watering in the root zone not where foliage will be wetted, to ensure that the mildew doesn't get passed on to the seedlings I'll be starting in March?

Thanks again.

o

Sure, they're safe to eat.

And what you've suggested is about all you can do to limit the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here