Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garf_gw

sprayer for tomato plant leaves

garf_gw
9 years ago

I need information on a smaller sprayer capable of reaching lower surfaces of tomato plant leaves when planted in containers.

Comments (11)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

What products will you be spraying and how many plants are you caring for?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

is this dependent on your other post ...

i have grown Ts for 35 years.. and never sprayed a single one .... i really dont care if the plant itself gets ugly .... after the first fruit.. you cant stop more for coming.. no matter how ugly they get .. lol ...

you dont have a sprayer.. so i have to ask.. have you ever grown Ts before?????

why the presumption of need of such ???

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

BTW ... there is at least one hardcore T forum ... including the whole in pots thing ... find them.. they need you .. lol ...

you will get much more info.. from the mavens ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

9 years ago

Garf, lest you think I'm being arbitrary with my questions, your information will help me give you a better answer regarding a sprayer.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Do you have a few (less than 5) plants or many (like 20 or so)? For a few plants a 1 quart sprayer, like Windex comes in although not that one, would work. For many plants you may need a hose end sprayer or a 2 - 1/2 gallon pump sprayer.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I usually have betwen 6 to 10 plants. I have windex type sprayers. I need to get the undersides of the leaves. The main problem is Spider Mites.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I usually have betwen 6 to 10 plants. I have windex type sprayers. I need to get the undersides of the leaves. The main problem is Spider Mites.

• ronalawn82
    9 years ago

garf, whether it is a single plant or a hundred, the sprayer shown at the link will work.
    The advantages are:

1. The original (bottle) container will screw right on to the sprayer; and the contents will not be diluted. Just re-cork and store for future use.
    2. Calibrated for Tbsp. and Tsp. per gallon.
    3. Easily calibrated for job in hand.
      I always have one for jobs that are too big for the back pack sprayer or too small for the tank mix.
      link.
    9 years ago

Ron, the Gilmour model is my favorite hose-end sprayer, too.

Garf, obviously, this sprayer requires that your plants be located near your hose. It also shouldn't be used with a product that demands careful dilution accuracy.

The nozzle on this model swivels, allowing you to hold the sprayer down while it deflects the contents up. Very useful gadget when simply filled with plain water to knock aphids from a plant. Also useful for oil sprays.

If you decide on a compression sprayer, find one with different nozzle attachments. You should have one that allows you to hold the wand straight down into the insides of the plant while the product is sprayed to the underside of the leaves. Mine holds three gallons.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

I have not had a problem with a hand held sprayer (Windex type) getting to the leaves undersides, sometimes that might involve picking up the container and spraying but often it just involves getting me down low enough (somewhat difficult now).
    Control of Spider Mites can be as easy as misting the plants several times a day, as is indicated in the linked article.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Spider Mites

• randy41_1
    9 years ago

you can get a 1 gallon sprayer at lowes. you pump it up by hand and it has a wand. i've used it for hundreds of plants for several years and just had to repair the tubing from the tank to the nozzle once.