Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What WON'T gophers eat?

Posted by robcorreia 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 14, 08 at 13:58

I just moved in to a new house and surprise....the canyon behing my yard and the lawn are covered in gopher holes!!!

As I am starting my flower bed from scratch I wonder....JUST WHAT DON'T THESE GUYS EAT??? I heard they don't like cannas which is great because I am going for the tropical look here in San Diego....

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What WON'T gophers eat?

It may be that they don't care for aromatic plants, because they have never bothered our mints and oregano, and have always given the root zone of our camphor tree a wide birth.

Sc

o

Sc, thanks for the suggestion! That's perfect because I wanted lots of fragrant plants anyway! Fingers crossed...

o
P.S. RE: What WON'T gophers eat?

In the middle of winter it is hard to remember what is out there :)

We have an active bunch of pocket gophers, but they have never (in 25 years!) bothered our bed of iris, daffodils, or grape hyacinth. It may be that these rhizomes and bulbs are poisonous to gophers. They would give you some nice Spring color.

Sweetcicely

o

I want to plant flowers and new grass, but have a problem with gophers. what types of beautiful colorful flowers and grass can I plan that the goffers will not destroy and eat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here