Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
miticide application indoors?

Posted by mantorvillain z4bMN Dodge (willbeane2000@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 16:04

I obtained some Avid with intentions of using it for spider mite control (always have an outbreak during winter but nothing so far....said softly cuz I know it's coming).
After reading the label I'm trying to think of how I might be able to safely apply this in my basement...

the only thing I can figure out might be to have some sort of enclosure/tent to contain the mist/droplets (will likely use a hand mister). I was thinking of trying to find one of those small 'window' greenhouse kits that has several shelves. See if I could cut a hole and seal around a long armed vinyl glove like vets use when...well won't go into that here, but you get the idea.

This seems fairly elaborate but I'm for sure not going to be just spraying in the basement for my furnace to 'distribute' around the house - much less me in a confined space even w gloves/mask etc.

If you've used this or other miticides/pesticides which shouldn't be inhaled I'd really welcome you advice.
...and no the garage isn't heated and it's waaay too cold here in MN for even a quick trip outside.

I'll probably post this in a couple of places and share any good feedback.

thanks for your thoughts,
Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: miticide application indoors?

will!!!!

focus man ....

you dont spray.. especially indoors.. on a preventative basis ... and that is how your facts read ...

or are you planning ahead????

have you ever considered sterilizing your media prior to bringing it in the house ... i really dont understand how you get to this point.. year after year ...

and spider mites???? i .. personally.. had gnats ... [yes, yes.. and it wasnt pretty.. lol] ...

ken

ps: i would NOT SPRAY ANYTHING INDOORS.. that would require tenting/masking/respirator ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

There are far easier ways to control Spider Mites then to spray toxic poisons in your house. Spider Mite populations increase when the growing conditions become hot and dry so a very simple method of control is to just mist, to increase the humidity, around the plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Spider Mites

o

I'll add my voice to the others'. (Are you cwazy??) You cannot use this product in your basement; you cannot apply it with a hand mister. You would need a respirator approved for chemicals (not a dust mask). Your gloves need to be chemical resistant...not just a barrier to whatever is up the backside of a cow.

Where are you going to mix it? Where (and how) are you going to rinse your hand mister....in the sink and down the drain?

What you are proposing has dangerous consequences. I'd strongly suggest that you return the Avid.

Have you considered Neem oil? Most who use it for mites, especially in a closed or indoor environment, have good success. You actually need to see some mites, though, before beginning treatment.

In the meantime, keep your mister filled with plain water and spray the underside of the foliage frequently.

o

OK, reading you loud and clear! I'll see if any of our area greenhouses would like the avid.

I may not have had an outbreak this year cuz I've managed to be more attentive to regular watering and have kept a humidifier going down there. I'll also just add spraying the foliage regularly.

thanks again for the feedback. Once I read over the instructions/precautions I thought "Don't think I want to use this but I'll get some input"...and it's good I did.
Will

o

Good going, Will. Some people, including professionals, don't use their good common sense at all. Be sure come back here if you ever need any help again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here