Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cure for Jade Plant with Mealy Bugs

Posted by decogrl (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 20, 07 at 17:59

I have a Jade houseplant for 5+ years and all of a sudden, I noticed little white mealy bugs! What is the best way to rid the plant of them? Where do I need to look for them so that I make sure I get them all? Also should I repot the plant? I had someone else water it while I was away and looks like it was overwatered. It looks like some of the leaves have brown rot. Help I love my plant!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cure for Jade Plant with Mealy Bugs

Start your control of the Mealy Bugs with a good sharp water spray to knock off as many as possible and follow that up with some insecticidal soap sprays. Overwatering is the single most common problem with house plants so cut back and water only when the plant really needs it.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 21, 07 at 15:53

Be aware that insecticidal soap may damage succulent plants. You'd be wise to test it on a small portion of the jadeplant (perhaps one branch), then wait a week to see the result.

o

Oooh, jean001 is so right! Jade is one of the plants that may suffer damage from insecticidal soap applications. But I will tell you what you can use, with great effectiveness! Mix a solution of one part rubbing alcohol to three parts water (or stronger) and fill a small spray bottle. Apply liberally to all parts of the plant, even after you see no obvious signs of mealy bugs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here