Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spider mites

Posted by dcrso Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 19:20

This past summer I had a large infestation of spider mites in my lawn and roses.I have tried many differnt types of insecticide with little result. Does any one know what works the best on mites? When and how often should it be applied
Thanks
Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spider mites

hmmm.. a miticide.. applied according to the label???

see link ...

ken

ps: are we to rely on your ID???? .. spider mites in the lawn doesnt sound right .... but i havent finished my first coffee ... so not much sounds right , right now .. lol

pps: this link says: Mites are not insects; they are more closely related to ticks and spiders. Most mites are visible to the unaided eye and usually measure 1/8" or less in length. [http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/mites.htm]

and perhaps that is why INSECT-icides might not work .... especially if you are dancing around the light weight stuff ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o
RE: spider mites

Control of any garden pest means you need to know something about what you are trying to control. Spider mites are not really insects and spraying insecticides around to control them simply kills off any predators of those spider mites that might be around.
Spider mites become more of a problem in hot, dry weather because they then suck more plant juices which causes them to mate more which produces more of the wee buggers. The simplest means of control is to mist affected plants to raise the humidity around that plant.
The link below can be of some help.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Spider Mites

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here