Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spider Mites? Tiny white dots

Posted by tropical_thought 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 11, 10 at 0:33

I have a problem with white tiny pests that I always assumed were spider mites, but I don't see any webbing.
This attack started due to heavy rains, I thought spider mites liked drought. I notice the small plant like a voila or a primrose is not doing well, or looks sick. Upon closer inspection there are yellow leaves at the base of the plant and or twisted leaves. I look at the crown and see 1,000 of little white dots that are too small to have any features that I can notice like arm or legs, just dots, but they do move. I then have to discard the plant in most cases. If I let the plant stay it won't recover and only provides a breeding center for the pests. The dotes are smaller then grains of sand. If it is not spider mites what other pest could they be?

I did use Bayer Advanced Care treatment every two weeks starting in early January, but still I am finding new cases constantly. I had to discard almost every small annual type plant. I replaced with some new plants just recently.

I live in San Francisco, and there is no dormant season. Things grow all year, but the cold has not slowed down the infestation, it has only increased. I don't know if the spraying is helping. It's hard for the spray to reach the base of the plant, so maybe that is why all the infestation is at the bases?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spider Mites? Tiny white dots

I am curious...

Do you see them with the naked eye? Do you use a magnifying glass? And, are they underneath the leaves too?

Thanks

o

I can see them with the naked eye, and they are only around the crown or base of the plant in the leaf margins or under the very lower most leaves. But, I am confused by the heavy rains causing the infestation.

o

Spider mites can thrive under many kinds of conditions, though they seem to prefer the hot, dry times of the year.

You should know that some insecticides aren't hugely effective against spider mites. And you should also know that many different kinds of insects and mites build up resistance to a chemical that is used on a regular basis. You might even have cyclamen mites, which are very difficult to get rid of.

Do you have a good extension office nearby? Some offices are staffed with real live horticulturists (or similar) who could check out your critter under a scope for a proper ID.

o

I guess that is what I should find a pest control office, but everytime I see them I quickly remove the plant and discard trying to keep the infection under control. I would have to find one pretty quick. I live in san francisco. I don't think we have anything like that. I have no idea who to contact. Maybe I just have to stop growing these little things like voilas and pansies? So far it has not affected the roses, but bayer advanced care is supposted to work on spider mites.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 11, 10 at 19:25

Work on finding out who can id the things for you. Perhaps a large nearby garden center. But be certain to secure your plant in a clear plastic bag to avoid sharing your critters.

Or at the Strybing Arboretum. Call first because sometimes the person you need to talk to is present part-time.

Beyond that, spider mites are NOT your problem. They don't hang out at the base of the plant and at the edges of leaves.

o

It was all a mistake. The tiny white dots turned out to be pieces of silica or some kind of mineral found in sand that was washed out or out and over by all the heavy rains. The plants were failing because they were water logged due to el nino. I never had insects on the plants. I thought I saw them moving, at least I think I did, but I guess they were not moving.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 23:59

Thanks for the update.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here