Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

Spider Mites? Tiny white dots

Laurel Zito
14 years ago

I have a problem with white tiny pests that I always assumed were spider mites, but I don't see any webbing.

This attack started due to heavy rains, I thought spider mites liked drought. I notice the small plant like a voila or a primrose is not doing well, or looks sick. Upon closer inspection there are yellow leaves at the base of the plant and or twisted leaves. I look at the crown and see 1,000 of little white dots that are too small to have any features that I can notice like arm or legs, just dots, but they do move. I then have to discard the plant in most cases. If I let the plant stay it won't recover and only provides a breeding center for the pests. The dotes are smaller then grains of sand. If it is not spider mites what other pest could they be?

I did use Bayer Advanced Care treatment every two weeks starting in early January, but still I am finding new cases constantly. I had to discard almost every small annual type plant. I replaced with some new plants just recently.

I live in San Francisco, and there is no dormant season. Things grow all year, but the cold has not slowed down the infestation, it has only increased. I don't know if the spraying is helping. It's hard for the spray to reach the base of the plant, so maybe that is why all the infestation is at the bases?

Comments (7)