Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help identifying larvae

Posted by woohooman San Diego CA 10a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 2:41

Not the greatest of pics, but maybe you can still help. old, old phone camera. :(

Maybe I can get a better pic if you guys/girls need one.

plants affected: brassicas
color: greyish

Thanks

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help identifying larvae

another bad one.

o

Yes, it's almost impossible to see with any certainty, but when you say brassica at this time of year, I think aphids. Often those on brassicas are the soft, grey ones. Aphis on plants don't move around much. You can stand and look at them and not see any activity but that doesn't mean the little critters done have legs and done move.

Here is a link that might be useful: aphid on cabbage

o

Aphids are common on brassicas and if present are quite easily controlled with sharp streams of water that wash them off the plants. Aphids on brassicas are usually a grayish/green in color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aphid images

o

Yep. That's what I thought also and after seeing pics, it's confirmed.

Thanks calliope and kimmsr.

By the way, these are eggs and not adults, correct? Is neem not effective on the EGGS of aphids?

Thanks.

Kevin

o

No chance of a decent picture? One thing for absolute certain...they aren't aphid eggs. You should be able to see 6 legs and a long pair of antennae. They even move around, albeit slowly.

o

Aphids are born alive in their juvenile stages. If you gently lift and dislodge one and look at it under a hand lens, you will see the whole nine yard, including legs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here