Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana tree - is this dirt or a bug?

Posted by GuyForget none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 9:02

Hi, I've included some close-up pictures of what I've been seeing show up on my banana plant. It looks like dirt, but I've had this tree for several years and this is the first time I'm seeing this. If they are bugs, they don't seem to be moving.. I wash it off and it only shows up on newly emerging leaves

Edit: Of course just after I post this I find some pictures of aphids that look similar to this.. I have washed them off with an insecticide soap once. Do these live down inside of the plant? I guess I'll just have to keep spraying as they emerge if that's the case.

This post was edited by GuyForget on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 9:12

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana tree - is this dirt or a bug?

i cant focus on the pix..

but mostly likely aphids ... and its usually the new.. soft.. succulent parts.. as they are suckers ...

put it in the shower.. and blast them off ... i would cover the soil so as to not overwater the plant ....

or wipe them off... until you wipe out the population ...

or both ...

or use a systemic.. presuming you will never eat a banana off this plant ... if this is your final shot.. i would treat it outdoors when the temps are warm enough ...

do you have a magnifying glass??? .. what do you see???

use google on the suggested ID .... tons of info out there....

ken

ps: if you have other plants around.. you will want to isolate this one..

o

Guy, your observations are right! Aphids in several different stages. The white stuff is all of the tiny exoskeletons that they shed as they outgrow them.

I suggest that you mix up a solution of rubbing alcohol and water at the ratio of 1:3 (alcohol to water) and mist the plant occasionally. Yes, they will live and feed and multiply down in the folds of plants....and if they enter an egg laying stage, they can be very hard to locate.

Keeping them rinsed off with plain water, occasional treatments of insecticidal soap or the alcohol mist will keep them at bay. Just one aphid can repopulate your banana in an amazingly short time.

o

Thanks for the confirmation and suggestions.. I'll keep them washed off and mist with some rubbing alcohol.

This plant is starting to have some offshoots spring up and I notice the aphids on them as well. I'm going to take off the offshoots when I repot the plant this spring anyway, but would it damage the root system if I spray rubbing alcohol on the offshoots and soil to try to get the ones living down there (letting it sit for a few minutes and then rinsing it through)?

o

I wouldn't spray the roots or the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here