Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

Cytospora Canker

greyandamy
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered that a few of my pines have Cytospora canker. After tons of research, I know they must be removed. Do the roots need to be thoroughly removed also? I know with one, the limber pine, I could at best leave a stub.

Then I was reading, hearing things about Borax, etc. And getting very confused. I don't want to spread anything more than would happen, and I know enough about methods of disease transmission.

If all roots weren't removed, could anything be planted in that general area? My neighbor has a severely overgrown white pine that is about 7 feet extended (or more) way up over this area. It is oozing with the disease, and it's such a large large tree that I'm sure it's roots are everywhere.

I was trying to think of one thing to put there that was resistant/didn't get this, I don't know about chamacyparis obtusa, Nellie R Stevens Holly, or Thuja. Even a freaking hydrangea.

This particular disease seems spread rampantly throughout the neighborhood (old neighbor, many neglected overgrown evergreens). All pines seem to have, as i was looking.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!

Amy

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus